Alcohol Poisoning: A Medical Emergency

Hundreds of people die each year from acute alcohol intoxication, more commonly known as alcohol poisoning or alcohol overdose. Caused by drinking too much alcohol too fast, it often occurs on college campuses or wherever heavy drinking takes place.

Knowing the signs and symptoms of acute alcohol intoxication and the proper action to take can help you avoid a tragedy.

Alcohol (a depressant drug), once ingested, works to slow down some of the body’s functions including heart rate, blood pressure, and breathing.  When the vital centers have been depressed enough by alcohol, unconsciousness occurs.  Further, the amount of alcohol that it takes to produce unconsciousness is dangerously close to a fatal dose.  People who survive alcohol poisoning sometimes suffer irreversible brain damage.

Signs and Symptoms of Alcohol Poisoning

  • Unconsciousness or semi-consciousness
  • Slow respirations (breaths) of eight or less per minute, or lapses between respirations of more than eight seconds.
  • Cold, clammy, pale, or bluish skin.

In the event of alcohol poisoning, these signs and symptoms will most likely be accompanied by a strong odor of alcohol.

While these are obvious signs of alcohol poisoning, the list is certainly not all inclusive.

Appropriate Action

If you encounter a person who exhibits one or more of the signs and symptoms, do what you would do in any medical emergency:  Call 911 immediately.

While waiting for 911 emergency transport, gently turn the intoxicated person on his/her side and maintain that position by placing a pillow in the small of the person’s back.  This is important to prevent aspiration (choking) should the person vomit.  Stay with the person until medical help arrives. 

Many students are surprised to learn that death can occur from acute intoxication.  Most think the worst that can happen is they’ll pass out and have a hang-over the next day, but alcohol poisoning is a medical emergency.

Last modified onSaturday, 25 April 2015 16:25

Drug Overdose: A Medical Emergency

Drug overdoses can be accidental or intentional. They occur through the misuse of illicit drugs, used to get high, or when a person takes more than the medically recommended dose of a prescription or over-the-counter drug and cannot detoxify the drug fast enough to avoid dangerous side effects. This may occur suddenly, when a large amount of the drug is taken at one time, or gradually, as a drug builds up in the body over a longer period of time. Prompt medical attention may save the life of someone who accidentally or deliberately takes an overdose. Drug overdose symptoms vary widely depending on the specific drug used. Knowing the signs and symptoms and the proper action to take can help you avoid a tragedy. While these are obvious signs of drug overdose, the list is certainly not all inclusive. If you encounter a person who exhibits one or more of the signs and symptoms, do what you would do in any medical emergency:  Call 911 immediately. Depressant Overdose Opioids, benzodiazepines and alcohol are all depressants, which means they slow the central nervous system, including breathing and heart rate. Too much of any one of these substances on their own or in combination can kill...

Read more

Alcohol Poisoning: A Medical Emergency

Hundreds of people die each year from acute alcohol intoxication, more commonly known as alcohol poisoning or alcohol overdose. Caused by drinking too much alcohol too fast, it often occurs on college campuses or wherever heavy drinking takes place. Knowing the signs and symptoms of acute alcohol intoxication and the proper action to take can help you avoid a tragedy. Alcohol (a depressant drug), once ingested, works to slow down some of the body’s functions including heart rate, blood pressure, and breathing.  When the vital centers have been depressed enough by alcohol, unconsciousness occurs.  Further, the amount of alcohol that it takes to produce unconsciousness is dangerously close to a fatal dose.  People who survive alcohol poisoning sometimes suffer irreversible brain damage. Signs and Symptoms of Alcohol Poisoning Unconsciousness or semi-consciousness Slow respirations (breaths) of eight or less per minute, or lapses between respirations of more than eight seconds. Cold, clammy, pale, or bluish skin. In the event of alcohol poisoning, these signs and symptoms will most likely be accompanied by a strong odor of alcohol. While these are obvious signs of alcohol poisoning, the list is certainly not all inclusive. Appropriate Action If you encounter a person who exhibits one or more of the signs and symptoms, do what...

Read more
×

Dear Friend of NCADD ...
It takes courage, determination and strength to avoid alcohol and drugs or to seek help and overcome addiction. We want to do everything in our power to provide the tools and support to help those on this journey. Without question, this is the most important journey of their lives and your support makes a huge difference in its outcome!
On behalf of all those on the journey to recovery, and of all those waiting to start that journey, we thank you.
Donate Now